Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting Real ~ The Fear Factor




fear

noun
1.    a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid. foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. courage, security, calm, intrepidity.
2.     a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights. phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear. liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.
3.    concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
4.    reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. awe, respect, reverence, veneration.
5.    something that causes feelings of dread or apprehension; something a person is afraid of: Cancer is a common fear.
 
 
 
 
What are you afraid of?       
 
Lately, I'm finding that fear is a much more powerful emotion than I care for.     It creeps in when you need it the least, and it can very easily find a way towards beginning to take root.  
 
Fear.       
 
Fear of failure.   Fear of loss.    Fear of defeat.   Fear of pain.
  
Or the fear that's hidden by The What-if's....   What if I'm not good enough to be in this sport?   What if I get hurt?   What if I'm not strong enough to lift this weight?  What if I never Rx that workout?    What if I fear the bar?    What if I fear the rings?  What if I'm too fat to go to the gym?    What if they laugh at me?   What if I can't lose this weight?    What if I'm bigger than everyone else?  What if I'm not as fit as everyone else? What if I fear myself?
 
Myself?    Why me?    Why would I fear me?
 
Because I'm my own worst enemy.       I am what's standing between me and my current goals. 
  
 
  
I am the one who doubts my abilities.   I am the one who second guesses my choices.    I am the one who lacks the confidence to trust what I know to be true.   
 
Myself.   Me.     I.    
 
and fear.  
 
 Fear wants me to quit.   Fear would like nothing better than to beat me at my own game.    Fear would like to tell me that the unknown is too far out of my reach, and that goals like that are for others, not for me
 
Fear threatens my happy.   Fear attacks my self-esteem.   Fear drowns my  successes in the pool of my failures.    Fear leaves me vulnerable to attack.    Fear tells me to run, don't stay and fight.


 
But fear doesn't know that I have a choice.
     and I  chose not to listen to fear.   I chose not to hear it's voice.  and I chose not to give fear another moment of my time to waste.     Fear no more.
 
Today I chose strength.   And today I chose determination.    
 
                                         But most of all, today I chose ME.  
 
 
 
 
I chose today to believe I'm worth it.    I chose today to set fear aside and take that first step.   I chose to walk forward instead of dwelling on the path that didn't lead me to my goals.   And today, I chose me.
 
Chose you today.   Chose to believe you can reach the unattainable.   Chose to listen to your knowledge instead of your heart - because maybe your heart has been broken too many times and it doesn't yet believe what your knowledge and logic can tell it.    Chose today to see the positive in that unusually cloudy circumstance.   Chose today to give yourself grace to fail, and then chose to believe that 
   'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.'  ~Winston Churchill 
 
When was the last time you chose to believe in you?    
 
Maybe you don't have a group of friends who believe in you.  Maybe you don't even have 1 person you feel believes in you.   But you do... and it's you.     You teach people how to love you.    So begin by showing them that you are worth loving.   Begin by taking that step towards a goal no one thinks you can reach.. and then take the next step, and the next.  Until before you know it, YOU believe in you.   YOU believe you will make it.   And YOU believe you are worth it.    
 
Let fear be the factor that pushes you to destroy it.   Let fear be the motivation behind your impending success.    And let fear then fall by the wayside, as you walk your way down victory lane with your head held high - with success in your hands and fear at your feat.
 
Chose to walk today.    Chose.      It's up to you.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment