Thursday, January 12, 2012

Getting Real: 21 Day Sugar Detox Day 11 & 12

Hungry.   

Oh how that word applies to so many things other than food.  

But the question then becomes ~
     What are you hungry for?
What is the thing you think about more than anything else?
      Or more often than you should?.... 




As I take on this challenge, I am coming to terms with the fact that I'm hungry for so much more than food - but I'm recognizing that food has been my go-to friend for a couple of years.      Just this morning I read this post from Clean Eats in the Zoo and thought I would share ~

          "Day 12 of the The Whole30 | Whole9.        Yesterday received the call that my grandma is in her last few days. I went to see her last night and was able to spend some quality time with her...I immediately noticed my emotional response of wanting to eat something "comforting"...chocolate, to be exact. On my drive home from seeing her, I was so tempted to stop off and grab a candy bar. Yes, I'm that bad. It was like a mental tug-of-war. I had to ask myself--if I stop for chocolate, am I going to really enjoy it? Yes. If I stop for chocolate, will it be worth it? No. If I stop for chocolate, will the sweetness take away my sadness? No. Conclusion: It wasn't worth it for me to fall off the Whole30 wagon for some 30-second indulgence. I came home, ate some leftover dinner and a banana and called it good. Still felt sad, but it would have been the same if I had eaten that candy. Seeing the emotional aspect of eating sugar so evidently is a really good reminder of why I'm trying to break these habits."
How many times has there been an emotional hole in your life, and you're immediate reaction was to find something yummy to eat?      I can honestly say I recognize this thought pattern at least once a day, and depending on how and where the stresses are coming from, sometimes it's all day long.
"If I could just eat some chocolate I would feel better.    Man! I'm so stressed I just need something to reward myself for making through this day!"  and so on.....

Now, I'm all for little splurge and enjoy life kind of moments, don't get me wrong....  but not when they are done with the hopes of solving or soothing an emotional hole.  And oh how I'm guilty of this!

Doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox ( http://www.the21daysugardetox.com/) 
has been both rewarding and stupidly hard!!!  Let's just be honest. 
And since I decided to blog my journey, I know that my choices during the day are going to have to be logged in for all of you to read.   That's providing me with an interesting level of accountability.
And in all honesty, it's been the little bit of extra push that I needed in order to feel like I could succeed.  



The challenge for today is to find out what you're really hungry for ~  and then begin to figure out if it's true hunger, and if so....how are you going to satisfy that craving.

This can get a little tricky - because our hearts can sometimes tell us we are hungry for things that in the long run don't really matter or worse yes, aren't going to be healthy choices.   So begin to be honest with yourself and when you feel that hole of hunger, ask yourself some questions.     Learn to be ok with the emotions behind the hunger, and then learn to be still.  Even for just a moment, be still with those emotions and acknowledge them.     (are you thinking about food now?  or has something else popped into your head?)

Most of the time, if you'll allow yourself this 'self imposed time out,'  you can get to the real reason and as a result - make the right decision.

Hunger.    Is it for food?  Are you genuinely hungry, and if so then go down to that fridge and make a healthy choice!   If you're not, then stop and give yourself the chance.   Trust your commitment to yourself enough to know that given the choice, you want to make the right one.       

A little hunger for your goals can get you a long way ~     

and taking the time to make the right decisions will help you get there!

Breakfast ~  2 egg bacon fritata, almonds
Lunch ~  Bacon burger, peas, sweet potato fries, Green Shake  (kale, spinach, coconut milk, almond milk, almonds, berries, banana)
Dinner ~ Baked spiral ham, Green Beans
Snack ~ Carrot Shake  (3 carrots, avacado, almond milk, coconut milk, 1 apple, 1 pc mango)

Today is my off day from Crossfit.  Whew!    So far this week I'm on track for doing 4 Wod's and 3 Endurance Sessions with an 800m jog before each endurance to work on the ankle.      The endurance sessions are rowing sprints for me (since I can't completely run yet) and although it's the longest 15-20 minutes of my life, I am starting to see small changes during my workouts with my cardio.   
I did have 3 PR's this week (personal records) so that was a big huge smile for me those days.
I'm one week in with both eating and the new workout plan, and against my better judgement, I got on the scale just to see how I was doing after a week.    I'm seeing so many people posting their weight loss after just one week that I thought I was going to do the same.   
Well.   I can report that I gained 2.5 pounds.   I can also report that I will not be touching that stupid scale again until my 30 days are up.     I know better than to get on there because those numbers are no more a representation of how I'm doing than the man in the moon!!!   I can see that I'm getting smaller and at the same time getting stronger - and I can guarantee that a number can't possibly represent what that should 'look' like on me.   Oh well. Lesson learned! 

Yesterday's workout: 
  
Wednesday 1/11/2012
Skill: 2 Rounds of:
20 Lunge with weight overhead (10#)
10 Burpees
Strength: Squat snatch 5×5   worked with 45#bar only
W.O.D.
21-15-9 of:
Overhead Squats (65/95#)    I had to use the 35# bar for this and was very discouraged by that.
Pull-ups   (was able to do these unbroken chest to bar)

       The overhead squat movement and my ankle didn't at all agree - so look for massive improvement there as I gain more flexibility in my IT band and ankle.  Ugh! 


I'd love to hear how your weeks are going.  Where are you in your detox?  Are you just joining us?  Or is this your 3rd time around?   I know there aren't too many of you reading this, but don't be shy, please ~   the feedback and knowledge that we are in this together is a wonderful thing!

Favorite Recipe~  Cowboy Breakfast Skillet http://www.health-bent.com/pork/paleo-cowboy-breakfast-skillet
Enchilada Cabbage Rolls

Highlighted Blog ~  The Top 9 Challenges of Being Paleo  http://www.beingprimal.com/top-9-challenges-of-being-paleo-and-what-to-do-about-them

Featured Video   What's Your Excuse?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG82FnZx9dk

No comments:

Post a Comment